Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Grandparenting....

This last year I lost two women who were a big part of my life. My Grandma Edna and my Grandma Sherry. Both very different women but both just as dynamic in life as they were different. And I truly hope that I can be as dynamic in Gavyn's life as they were in mine and in my siblings, daughter and nieces and nephews. and I hope that Gavyn will think of me as highly as I did them.

I laugh to myself because I remember the weird things about these women... Grandma Edna had fake teeth since she was 18 and I remember her putting her teeth in a bowl with a lid on the kitchen counter whenever she went to bed. her lips would be all sunk back in her head and she talked funny as we went to bed with her. and she always always wore this net thingy on her head so her hair wouldn't get messed up. I particularly remember a blue satin one with a little knot thingy on top. and you know satin or silk was to be worn so you hair didn't get matted. oh the times we had when we all spent the night... Trey would sleep with Grandpa in his bed and Kim and I would sleep with Grandma in her bed... both beds in the same room just 3 foot apart. and you know those were the best of times... of course you know Grandpa Don could snore the paint off the walls but Grandma Edna could do the same... so you had to be asleep before them so you could get to sleep.

Now Grandma Sherry was a totally different case all together.... she could drink, cuss like a sailor and drive like a bat out of **** all the time pressing the gas for faster. She drove big cars and I often wonder if it was to make up for her being 5'2"... but who knows... We didn't spend the night with her while as kids...because she was a happening Grandma... she dated lots...and most people didn't know her real age... I often wondered if she even knew at times... she was a very young grandma even though she was close the same age as my other grandmother... she partied often and had the time of her life. She met my step grandfather in the 70's and it was the best marriage there ever was... the biggest memory i have of grandma is cussing out someone who was bigger than she was about a parking spot...but i did love the world out of her too.

both this last year went on to heaven or as a friend told me today to their mansion. and I know that they both look down and probably shake their heads at all the stuff we worry about but my memories of both are of the wonderful women they were and how much i loved them.. and how much an impact they made on my life and I just hope that I can be half the Grandmother that they were. I know that my Mom has become a wonderful grandmother who is both alike the two women above and so very different. and if I could just be 1/2 the grandmother she is too I would be as happy. So we will see what happens... I just hope i am highly thought of when I go to my mansion in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment